After an 11th hour meeting with my ride team, and having an honest discussion about where we are at, we have decided to postpone the ride until mid-May 2013. It is not with a heavy heart, nor with sadness that I make this announcement -- this is not a bad thing! It's the best thing for all involved.
There are several concerns that brought us to this decision. We feel that we are about 95% ready to hit the trail, but not 100%. There are logistical issues to still be worked out, as well as equipment issues. This is not the type of ride to cut corners or rush things. We want to make sure that when we do this ride, we are completely successful, and that means everyone who leaves Baker, Nevada, makes it to Reno, Nevada safe, sound, and sane.
Everyone involved with the ride supports this decision and is relieved and excited to have a little more time to prepare. Doing this ride in the spring makes for some new and unique challenges, but in some ways it will be an even better ride. We will use the extra time we have now to continue to prepare - with test rides, buying gear, and marketing. We'll announce our new launch date as soon as possible.
Please stay with us for this short delay. It's going to be an amazing and historic ride!
The latest updates from Samantha on the Nevada Discovery Ride.